Updated: Jul 19, 2022
Welcome to your Mental Skills Training Masterclass with Lauren Richie, founder of The Dance Podcast! Please have a pen and notebook ready for this class.
Time: Approx. 1 hour 30 minutes
• Your brain is programmed to a negative bias.
• When you elevate others, you elevate yourself.
• Emotions have a pattern to them.
• Your brain will always look for the data that you want to confirm.
• Your brain is built to anticipate, i.e. if we are going to feel good or bad post experience.
• Put some of your thoughts on trial.
• All of these tools we give you are nothing without consistent practice.
• Reframe your stress; ask, 'why does this matter?'
Be a scientist, not a judge.
Exercise #1: Write down all of the difficult things that have shown up for you this past week.
Exercise #2: Make a check beside all of the difficult things on that list that you have survived... (it should be all of them, because you're still here, reading this blog!)
Exercise #3: What would you say to your best friend if they came to you and said:
- "I'm so tired."
- "I tried something new and got a negative response."
- "I feel stuck."
How did you respond to them? Is this how you respond to yourself when you feel the same way? Speak to yourself with the same compassion you would to those that you love.
1) Breathe: Tell yourself, 'We are taking an inhale. We are taking an exhale.' Repeat at least three times. Train your brain to focus on what you tell it to focus on.
2) Gratitude: Think of one thing you are grateful for. Let that gratitude engulf you!
3) Intention: Set an intention for how you want to feel throughout your day (not what you are going to do, but how you are going to feel).
4) Acknowledge: Acknowledge three things that went well in the last 24 hours.
Do all four things before checking your phone!
Atomic Habits by James Clear
The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor
Big Potential by Shawn Achor
Here are some resources!
Thanks for tuning in!
Christie Lee Manning
House Of Jazz Company